Sunday, July 18, 2010

We didn't know Jack

This weekend was about hiking at Jack London State Historic Park. This section of Sonoma County beauty is located in the town of Glen Ellen, just minutes north of the town of Sonoma. We started out Saturday morning, around 10:30. It was already starting to heat up. The views along the trail were worth it, though.
Nice view!

We followed Mountain Trail for about 2 miles, up some beautiful switch backs through redwood groves. At one point a mommy deer and her two babies scampered past us. Then, to my chagrin, my hiking boots gave out. The soles of both boots came completely off!
wtf?
We had to head back to the car. Sucktastic. But we'd had a taste of the park, and I wasn't about to let the mountain beat me.

We got up early the next morning, and headed back to the park. As we paid the $8 park fee (again) I related the previous day's saga to the park ranger, who thought I was funny. I think Hubby was less amused. Anyway, we loaded up the backpack and headed back up the Lake Trail & Mountain Trail.

The Lake Trail takes you to Jack London's man-made lake. It's pretty, surrounded by cattails, but this time of year there isn't much water in it so it looked kind of murky. Past Lake Trail you pick up Mountain Trail to reach the park's summit.

This trail goes on for quite a while, through shady redwood groves and sun-filled meadows. It's nine miles (and 1800" elevation change) out and back. The official guide calls it "strenuous." I didn't really think so...


... until we got near the summit. This shot doesn't really do justice to the monumental change in elevation. This part kicked our asses. It is hot and dusty and the ground is pretty loose ("JLYM").

We started to reconsider the whole "summit" thing at this point. And as if the ass-kicking part of the trail wasn't enough, we were joined by dozens of biting flies that hadn't had red meat in weeks, apparently. It was pretty brutal.






Fortunately for us, I had packed the appropriate provisions.

















At the top of the trail (this point anyway) we were greeted by a beautiful park bench, looking out over the Sonoma valley. Pretty sweet:

Jack really knew what he was doing (aside from leaving linseed-oil soaked rags around in the hot hot heat). The property is beautiful, with manzinita & oak and redwood groves providing ample shade. We didn't make it to the summit this time, but we're prepared to try and tackle this hike again next week (note to self: more provisions!).

I will leave you with this quote:
"The grapes on a score of rolling hills are red with autumn flame. Across Sonoma Mountain wisps of sea fog are stealing. The afternoon sun smoulders in the drowsy sky. I have everything to make me glad I am alive. I am filled with dreams and mysteries. I am all sun and air and sparkle. I am vitalized, organic."

                      - Jack London

No comments: